Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sweet Blueberry Biscuits

UPDATE: Welcome Pinterest people! this recipe has gotten my lil blog so much traffic and I'm so happy you are here! If you have any questions, feel free to comment and I'll do my best to get back to you! Thanks!

I cannot say enough about these biscuits. The first time I made them was a huge experiment, but they turned out so good and got rave reviews!!!

Sweet Blueberry Biscuits

Biscuits:
adjusted from the Buttermilk Biscuits post
2 cups All-Purpose Flour (I used White Lily, a flour available in most Southern stores)
1 Tb. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 Tb. sugar
1 stick unsalted butter (VERY cold)
3/4-ish cup buttermilk (use enough until the dough is just barely wet enough)
1 c. frozen blueberries (we used fresh blueberries that had been frozen overnight)
1/2 stick melted salted butter

Sauce:
1 c. powdered sugar
3 Tb. milk (or more if not thin enough)
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Cut butter into small pats and lay out on a cookie sheet lined in wax paper. Stick in the freezer for at least 10 minutes. Prepare cast iron skillet with a tiny amount of bacon grease, if available. Easiest thing: fry one piece of bacon, wipe out the pan, and you're good to go!

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Stir the sauce ingredients together (powdered sugar, milk, vanilla), and make sure the powdered sugar is completely dissolved.

Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, sugar) together and then cut in the cold unsalted butter. Cut in until the butter is about pea sized, relatively well mixed in. Add buttermilk. Add slowly until you have just enough where the dough separates from the sides of the bowl. Stir until just combined and roll it out onto a well-floured surface.

Before kneading, prepare a large area for kneading. (I use a large cutting board for easy clean-up!) Sprinkle the area with some flour. Put the dough on the floured area and sprinkle some flour over the dough. Press the dough out (no need to roll with a pin) and flatten to about 1/2″ thickness. Put blueberries over dough. Knead a couple of times and flatten back out to about 1″ thickness. (Honestly, the thicker the better, because they rise so beautifully!) The berries will likely start to bleed onto the dough and you’ll start to see flecks of blue as the berries defrost.

Place biscuits in a cast-iron skillet and be sure biscuits are touching.

Bake at 500 degrees for about 10-12 minutes. Somewhere around 6 to 8 minutes, take the skillet out of the oven and brush the biscuits with melted salted butter. This is an integral part of the baking process. And be liberal with it, brush on the sides of the biscuits if they are showing. When you begin to see the tops lightly brown (and the blueberries burst), take them out. The temperature in the middle of the biscuits will remain very hot once out of the oven and will continue the cooking process.

NOTE: Some people have mentioned that they have to leave their biscuits in for longer than 10 or 12 minutes. I have never had to leave mine in for longer, but if you fear yours aren't getting done and want to leave them in for longer, be sure to watch them like a hawk! I promise, they will go from done to burnt in just a few seconds!

When you take the biscuits out of the oven, let the pan cool for about 10 minutes. Pour the sauce over the biscuits after 10 minutes. Use as much or little of the sauce as desired.

Serve immediately!

47 comments:

  1. This sounds so yummy! I have the blueberries! I will just have to get the other ingredients on my next grocery shopping run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the oven right now! Smells wonderful...thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These biscuits look absolutely devine!!! I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What if you don't have a cast iron skillet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't have a cast iron skillet, try using a round non-stick pan. One of the tricks is to make sure each biscuit is touching each other, while also touching a side of the pan (except for the middle biscuit, if you end up having that many). I would recommend still having the pan greased with something, even if its non-stick. A cast iron skillet is super versatile though, you should really pick one up!!

      Delete
  5. I saw these on Pinterest...Can't wait to make 'em!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made these yummy biscuits and posted on the wednesday baker. Come check them out, I did them a bit different and so yummy. Loved them. Thank you AC for a wonderful biscuit. Andi

    ReplyDelete
  7. can you make these the night before and then pop them in the oven in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that would be fine! The colder the butter can stay, the better. I haven't tried that yet, so please report back!

      Delete
    2. Hello! I don't know if anyone reads this anymore, but just wanted to say I made these ahead of time with no issues. I took the dough until the step where you would start forming the biscuits and instead just wrapped it up in some plastic wrap. I finished the rest this morning and they were amazing!! This is probably a better method if you're someone like me and always seem to let your butter get too warm :) Thank you AC!!

      Delete
  8. Hiyah, How much is a "stick" of butter? We buy it in blocks in Aussie and NZ so not sure how much to add. I am dying to try these ... totally gorgeous!!! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine are in the oven now..but it seems to be taking longer than 10 minutes to bake. Took them out after 10 and they were still doughy in the center so back in the oven for a few more minutes. How about the rest of you?
    Was 10 minutes enough for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many times it will greatly depend on how thick the biscuits are, if your pan was hot at all before, how cold the dough was, etc. As long as you watch them closely so they don't burn, you'll be fine!

      Delete
  10. I had to bake mine about 18 minutes to get them done. They are very good. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should be able to! Just make sure the dish can withstand the high temperature and that it is properly greased/buttered ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so amazing- I'm pinning it to my new blog pinterest account AND my old personal account. I might make these for the married kids who are coming into town this weekend! ~ notquitewonderwoman.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this great recipe, my question is, can I freeze them before baking for another occasion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm new to the gluten free lifestyle. I was searching pinterest for GF recipes when this one popped up. Is it.GF? Is it. A matter of changing flour to a gluten free variety?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why set the heat so high 500* seems to high more so for a cast iron skillet. I saw where it said salted butter as well for the top of the biscuits is this right? Sorry for asking, just want to make sure I make these right.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love making foods from scratch. I'm making for my godchilds birthday as part of her dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mine are cooling down for the 10 min torture time now...can't go fast enuff! U didn't mention if the CI needed to preheat, so I didn't lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am wondering if these can be made with gluten free flour? I seem to be very interested in blueberry breads, cakes, etc. right now. Has anyone tried to make this gluten free?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is the temp of the oven the same if you don't have a cast iron skillet?

    ReplyDelete
  20. can milk be subbed for the buttermilk does anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make your own buttermilk/sour milk by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of whole milk. Let it set for about 10 minutes and you will notice it will start to curdle

      Delete
  21. did anyone else finde 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt too much salt. I love salt, but my biscuits were way too salty. next time Im cutting the salt. Lovely recipe though. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made these this morning & they turned out perfect! Fluffy biscuit, sweet blueberries. My oven doesn't regulate properly, so cook temps varied between 375 to 450 degrees F. Total bake time was 15 min. Will make again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hiya there! Just found this recipe on Pinterest. So glad I found it. I'm wondering if I can substitute the white sugar for Splenda. I don't eat sugar, hubby should NOT eat sugar, lol and so I try to always use a sugar substitute when I can. Just wasn't sure if I needed to add more cornstarch or something for thickening. Also, my cast iron pan is 10 inches. Is that big enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for the Splenda, I have no idea. I don't usually bake with sugar substitutes, so I couldn't tell you the exchange rate for those items. You could always try to reduce the sugar amount, because a little goes a long way. Or you could just leave off the icing on the top. As for the cast iron skillet, 10 inches should be fine, your biscuits might end up fitting together a little tighter, or you could make them smaller, or do it in two batches.

      Delete
  24. Hiya there! Just found this recipe on Pinterest. So glad I found it. I'm wondering if I can substitute the white sugar for Splenda. I don't eat sugar, hubby should NOT eat sugar, lol and so I try to always use a sugar substitute when I can. Just wasn't sure if I needed to add more cornstarch or something for thickening. Also, my cast iron pan is 10 inches. Is that big enough?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Shared with my readers and pointed them here for directions. Thanks for the recipe! http://collectorofrecipes.com/?p=1332

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can you use something besides blueberries. I don't eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. you can sub, raisins, chocolate chips, peach or apple bits, raspberries, dates, pecans or walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  28. HI, I would like to try baking these in a cake pan... my thought is to stack them with macerated strawberries and cream in the middle and on top. Do they hold together well? They look like they stick together well.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi there. Can Kefir Milk be used instead of Buttermilk?

    ReplyDelete
  30. These biscuits are the bomb!!! I make them all the time. They’re so easy and everybody loves them. I wish I owned a little Cafe that I could serve them everyday on the menu!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Will be trying to make this recipe as it sounds delicious..my favorite fruit is blueberry. Thanks for posting .

    ReplyDelete
  32. H!
    I might have missed it but what size cast iron skillet for this recipe
    Thanks
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wouldn't frozen berries be too watery as they bake ?

    ReplyDelete
  34. These biscuits are another level of GOOD!! I'm talking Cracker Barrel good! or better! So delicious. Great for my college boys who were home this weekend. They would be a great addition to a brunch menu. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You can also use lemon juice and milk instead of buttermilk and let sit 5 minutes or so. Also gives it extra flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I just made these for some friends - the biscuits are beyond just good - they are fantastic! I used White Lily flour - it really does make the softest biscuits - don't get the dough too wet or you'll have a mess - the soft wheat if very different from the normal wheat we have in our flours up north. I used an 11" cast iron skillet oiled with a bit of bacon grease like the recipe says. Mine took about 15 minutes at 500.

    ReplyDelete